Apple TV+ today revealed that Anna Sawai, Ren Watabe, Kiersey Clemons, Joe Tippett and Elisa Lasowski have been cast to star in the upcoming Apple Original live-action Godzilla and Titans series, a Legendary Television production based on Legendary’s Monsterverse franchise.
Following the thunderous battle between Godzilla and the Titans that leveled San Francisco and the shocking new reality that monsters are real, the untitled Monsterverse series will explore one family’s journey to uncover its buried secrets and a legacy linking them to the secret organization known as Monarch.
· The series will star:
· Anna Sawai (“Pachinko,” “F9”) as ‘Cate,’ a former schoolteacher and a G-Day survivor, she travels to Japan to settle family affairs but instead uncovers a family secret. Tired of running from her problems, she is determined to find answers.
· Newcomer Ren Watabe (“461 Days of Bento”) as ‘Kentaro,’ an intelligent, creative and curious young man who has yet to find his own path. He will embark on a quest to learn more about his revered yet mysterious father and discover his own talents in the process.
· Kiersey Clemons (“Hearts Beat Loud,” “The Young Wife”) as ‘May,’ an American ex-pat with a roguish exterior that she uses to protect herself as well as others. Whether it be deciphering a code or finding the loophole, she is always three steps ahead of everyone around her.
· Joe Tippett (“Mare of Easttown,” “The Morning Show,” “Rise”) as ‘Tim,’ an office drone who dreams of secret agent adventure. His overconfidence gets him in trouble in the field, but he is determined not to fail his organization.
· Elisa Lasowski (“Versailles”) as ‘Duvall,’ an expert operative with unwavering confidence in herself and her skills. She also possesses a wry sense of humor, which she uses to guide her less field-oriented colleague.
Emmy Award-nominated director Matthew Shakman (“WandaVision,” upcoming “Star Trek” film, “The Great”) will direct the first two episodes and serve as executive producer on the untitled Monsterverse series, which is produced for Apple TV+ by Legendary Television and executive produced by co-creators Chris Black (“Star Trek: Enterprise,” “Outcast”), who serves as showrunner, and Matt Fraction (“Hawkeye”). The series is also executive produced by Safehouse Pictures’ Joby Harold and Tory Tunnell. Executive producing for Toho Co. Ltd. are Hiro Matsuoka and Takemasa Arita. Toho is the owner of Godzilla and other classic characters and has licensed the rights to Legendary for this series as a natural byproduct of their long-term relationship on the film franchise.
Legendary’s Monsterverse is an expansive story universe of multi-layered experiences centering around humanity’s battle to survive in a world that is under siege by a catastrophic new reality – the monsters of our myths and legends are real. Beginning in 2014 with “Godzilla” and continuing with 2017’s “Kong: Skull Island,” 2019’s “Godzilla: King of the Monsters,” and 2021’s “Godzilla vs. Kong,” Monsterverse films have accumulated close to two billion dollars globally at the box office and is ever expanding with the latest iteration being a new anime series, “Skull Island.”